Saturday, November 21, 2020

When She Said "YES"

The most important day of my life was a Sunday in August 1986. My "girlfriend" made dinner at her apartment (OMG! can she COOK!). After dinner I went to the living room and turned on "60 Minutes" television show, she was talking as she washed the dishes in the kitchen. She was worried because she had to leave and go back home to the Philippines, something about visa requirements. I don't know what prompted me to get up (probably the delicious dinner) and say "we could get married". There was a short silence, then she turned looked at me, picked up a towel and dried her hands. She came to me and put both her arms over my shoulders and said, go home, pray about it, think about it and if you still want to get married, come back tomorrow and we'll talk about it. Then she gave me a big hug, I think that's what sealed the deal for me...

The next day I was looking for something to give her. A single 35 year-old guy who lives alone doesn't have too many trinkets around. Elvis came to my rescue, I heard on the radio "Would You Wear My Ring Around Your Neck". I still had my high-school class ring. That night when she came home from work she found me on her doorstep. The talk was short, she said yes and I gave her my class ring. 


Oh, yeah, we still watch "60 Minuets" together.


No comments:

Post a Comment